Saturday, October 6, 2007

If teens are from Neptune...

...parents are from Saturn.


Gosh, it seems the moment we teeter on adulthood, we lost touch and sync with each others transmissions.


Analogies become 'pilosopo-ing', concerns become 'meddling' and 'choking'.


I had a sweet YM chat earlier with my Dad regarding my vampire hours. Sparks flew as our antennas sent disagreeing radio waves.


"Di lang talaga ako makatulog sa gabi, dad. Nun umaandar utak ko e. Si Jouie diba, di iniyo naman pinipilit kumain gulay?"


"Wag ka nga mangturo. Iakw kinakausap ko e. At ikaw ba kumakain ka gulay nung kaedad mo si Jouie?"


"Di ko kayo sinusuway ni momi. Ganun lang talaga body clock ko now, dad. Parang watchdogs. Sanay sila na active sa gabi."


"Wag mo ko pinipilosopo."



"Analogy tawag dun, dad, please."


"Bahala ka. Wala ka na kasi kailangan sakin e."


"HA?! Depende pa rin ako sayo dad ah."

And then, I don't know how, I was swallowing tears and snot because Dad was saying he circulated my First Prize-winning essay and all my articles at the office email.


The sizzle passed. Next moment, he was telling me I have a new cell phone. Nokia 6300. "Tanungin mo si Onchie magkano to jan."


Whew! Sometimes I can just shake my head and smile; sometimes I want to pull all my hair out because of guilt at things I blurt during crossfires.

In Flipped, Bryce Loski says, 'just dive for calmer water'. I wonder why I never remembered that advice when I need it. I hope I don't spend the rest of my life with 'sisi sa huli'. I'll bite my tongue from now on (or clamp my fingers beneath my rump in case of YM chats).

I'm blessed to have wonderful parents.

However barmy they seem and sound and act, they've always followed their heart's impulse.

Just as Saturn is surrounded by beautiful rings, so are parents engulfed to near choking with love and care for us.

What do they say? That you need to become a parent before you can understand them fully.

But right now, I'm still Neptonian. Sorry to Dad and Mum and God up there for my insolence.

And ya know, Saturnians also forget their Neptonian days...

Hence, the war. :)

SHOUTOUT! Thanks to Thomas (zenigata) for alerting me about the Philippine Genre Stories' call for their Christmas issue! I've submitted, Tom. A story about a girl and her strange encounter during Misa de Gallo. God bless us!

3 comments:

Zinegata said...

Hey Joanna,

No problem. Good luck with your submission as well :)

BTW, I was just wondering... were you at that mass in the Megatrade Hall last Wednesday? I was passing by the area and remembered your previous post about Father Suarez. I was in a hurry and the crowd was huge so I didn't spot you though ^_^;;;

Thanks

Thomas

Joanna/JP/Pauie said...

Ah, nooooh! Di kami natuloy coz of the weather. Pish. I forgot to write that down, hehe. :) Perhaps Father Suarez will also go to SM Marilao.

We'll see each other on the launch of PSF maybe? That will be great.

Zinegata said...

Hi Joanna,

Ah, I see. Well, maybe we'll see each other in the PSF launch nga. I'm interested in seeing all of the accepted entries (including yours) :)

Thanks

Thomas