Friday, November 2, 2007

La di dah...

Himala, I'm awake before four p.m!

And my Mom's gone off somewhere, so I opened the pc before my bro beat me to it. Oh wait, he barbequed for us. Aww. But that means I do the dishes. Grr.

I'm not posting much in my blog, am I? It more seems like a journal than a BLOG, a web log, for goodness' sake, where people visiting can get something worthwhile. Hmm. Well... Who says I have to be worthwhile? I already am, to those who matter!

I wrote a little Cedric Diggory drabble. Entered into a challenge where the judges don't know grammar and art if it danced in front of them spraying Black Flag in their faces. Hehe.

This was supposed to show Cedric's Hufflepuff-ness in 500 words.

Did the judges do me wrong or did I do it right?

Here you go:

A Little Man

“What are you doing?”

“Hush, Cedie! Look, I got one!”

Coleen’s arm came out of the rabbit hole, hand fisted around a fluff of brown fur. Cedric’s eyes widened.

“You put that baby back in his nest this minute!”

“His mamma’s not here! What if she’s dead, even?”

“You don’t know that. Put him back.”

“I’m s’posed to mind Aunt and Uncle but I wasn’t told you could boss me.”

“You weren’t told you could take baby rabbits from nests either.”

“I’ll take care of him. You took care of that jackrabbit Uncle found—”

“That was different; the poor thing was washed to the creek. There was no way we could find his nest again. You’re stealing this baby.”

Coleen’s lower lip stuck out petulantly. Cedric was used to that. Coleen was the only baby girl of the family so far, and was consequently doted on as she was passed from uncle to uncle during the holidays. She was only five but very aware of her powers— which she demonstrated by bawling and marching from the wood to the house.

“Cedric, what have you done to your cousin?” was his mother’s greeting when he arrived. Her tone was nonchalant, however, even affectionate. This heartened Cedric. He was an only child, he had no one with whom to compare the way they treated him, but his parents’ trust and confidence in him was something he had always been cognizant of— and tried to keep.

“We had a row about a rabbit, Mum, that’s all. Coleen’s pining for a pet, I think.” And he sent a wink to Coleen. Her adorable forget-me-not eyes widened. No doubt it had just occurred to her.

“My princess is pining for a pet?” said Cedric’s father. Amos kissed Coleen and ruffled Cedric’s hair, whispering in his ear, “You planted that idea, son. You take care of it.”

~*~

“Where have you been all day?”

“Hush, Coleen! Look what I’ve got for you.”

Cedric opened the basket. Coleen peered in. In a wad of coarse red tartan was nestled a ball of white fur. Coleen squealed.

“Where did you get her?”

“From old Mr Lufkin.”

“And for me, really?”

“Yeah, better than having you steal bunnies, right?”

“Oh, Cedie! Thank— ugh! You reek!”

Cedric laughed as Coleen backed away from him, gently taking the basket with her. She had been about to hug him. Now he was dismissed in favour of a non-smelly little feline.

He went inside the house and collided with his father, who recoiled. “You smell like horse dung, Ced.”

“That’s because I’ve been shovelling away horse dung, Dad.”

“Oh? For this kitten?”

“Well, t’was s’posed to be for Mr Lufkin’s niece. And none of the rest of the litter was pretty. I... bargained.”

Amos’s chest swelled. Cedric feared he was about to be scolded for the first time. But his father only turned his red face to his mother. “Our son is quite the little man for a nine-year-old, isn’t he?”

Okay, bye! Gotta eat lunch! And then I'll write and continue Then Somebody Bends and Ron's Best Friend. LINKS AT THE BOTTOM of page! You know what's addicting about fanfiction? You publish and you get reactions fast. This is why JKR is envied as well. She is read and she is reviewed and she is alive to experience it all. Unlike, say, JRR Tolkien, diba?

While I wait for my own JKR-era, fanfiction muna. And then I'll tackle my own plot bunnies for the Gawad Likhaan. Or maybe I'll settle for just reaching *WAKAS*, my gosh.

mood: not procrastinating, Hermione's watching

P.S: Remind me to pray the rosary later for Ate Mayette, Lola Joaquina, Tito Cornelio, Ninang Franca, my Lolos and Tito Kenkoy... Eternal rest, grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace.

Nga pala, for those who wonder, we honor our beloved dead on All Saints' Day because they are among the saints, our benefactors and friends. We thank God for the blessing of having had them in our lives. Ganun.

No comments: